Temporary Business License
South Ogden City requires licensing of all businesses which engage in any activity carried on for the purpose or gain of economic profit. Engaging in business includes, but is not limited to, the sale of tangible personal property at retail or wholesale, the manufacturing of goods or property and the rendering of personal services for others for a consideration by persons engaged in any profession, trade, craft, business, occupation or other calling, except the rendering of personal services by an employee to his employer under any contract of personal employment. Licenses are required of all occupations based from locations within South Ogden City limits or which carry on business in our city.
In order to facilitate the opening of your business, South Ogden City offers the following information to assist you. These are the steps to follow in order to obtain a business license:
- Register the name of your business with the State of Utah – Department of Commerce. You can register on-line at https://secure.utah.gov/bes/ You can also obtain a sales tax number and Employer Identification Number (EIN) at this website. All individuals and partnerships conducting business under an assumed name (DBA: “Doing Business As”) must register their name(s) before applying for a business license. This is Utah State Law. Please include a copy of your registration with your application and your sales tax certificate if you are conducting a retail business. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ENTER “SOUTH OGDEN” AND NOT “OGDEN CITY” ON YOUR TAX APPLICATION.
- The South Ogden Police Department requires each commercial business to complete a Public Safety form – no exceptions. This form must be submitted at the time of your business license application each time you apply.
- If you will have an alarm on premises fill out the Alarm Permit application. The fee is $50.00 and is a “one-time” fee. Please call the police department at 801-622-2800 if you are unsure if you need an alarm permit.
- Fill out and submit the Weber County Assessor new business information form with your application if this is your first time applying. We will forward this to the county for you.
- Fill out completely.
- Pay the $25 fee due to the city.
- Your business license will be valid when all of the above steps have been completed, the signatures of the mayor and city recorder are on the actual license, and you have received your license personally. All licenses are mailed unless other arrangements have been made.
We appreciate your desire to do business in South Ogden City. If we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask questions. We are here to help you! (Telephone 801-622-2715)